ABL provides contract manufacturing and laboratory research services to advance leading vaccines and therapies from clinical development to the commercial market. ABL combines its expertise in translational science together with operational excellence to solve the challenging product development problems that are often faced by our clients as they bring their life-changing technologies to the world.
With cGMP facilities located in the U.S. and Europe, ABL is well positioned to provide comprehensive development and manufacturing support for protein and virus production utilizing single-use bioreactor platforms and other disposable technologies. ABL provides our clients with a fully integrated solution that includes cell line and process development, GMP manufacturing, QC release testing and QA/Regulatory support.
ABL’s contract research teams have decades of experience with immunoassays, developing custom assays and panels to support human clinical trials and preclinical animal studies. We routinely work with clients to design and run immunogenicity studies, biomarker analyses and other evaluations to better understand the impact of cutting-edge therapies: the mechanism of action, correlates of protection, pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamics studies and other critical safety and efficacy data.
ABL is a subsidiary of the Institut Mérieux, a global organization committed to serving medicine and public health across the globe.
ABL’s mission is to provide integrated product development services at the highest quality to advance client products from target discovery to IND.
- 1961 Company established as Bionetics Research Laboratories (BRL), conducting biomedical research for the U.S. Government.
- 1968 Acquired by Litton Industries and renamed Litton Bionetics, Inc. (LBI). Company began expanding activities in the areas of retrovirus and cancer research.
- 1985 LBI acquired by Organon Teknika n.v., a subsidiary of Akzo Nobel, Inc. U.S. Government support laboratories renamed Advanced BioScience Laboratories, Inc. (ABL).
- 2001-2004 ABL acquired by bioMerieux, Inc. and later spun out under the Institut Mérieux as an independent U.S. corporation. During this time, ABL continues to develop product development services against a broad array of infectious disease and immune-based disease targets.
- 2011 ABL moves into a new corporate headquarters and state-of-the-art cGMP facility in Rockville, MD.
- 2014 ABL invests in clinical GCLP services through the acquisition of Platine Pharma Solutions, SA (Lyon, France) and build-out of a dedicated GCLP clinical testing laboratory in Rockville.
- 2015 ABL Europe, a wholly-owned subsidiary of ABL, Inc. formed to lead ABL operations in Europe.
- 2016 ABL significantly expands its cGMP capability by acquiring a manufacturing plant from Transgene, SA (Strasbourg, France) for the production of virus-based gene therapies, oncolytics and vaccines. This facility, managed by ABL Europe, has been inspected and approved for GMP operations by the ANSM, maintains multiple bulk productions suites, a high-speed isolator-based aseptic fill/finish line, and QC laboratories for development and execution of product release and stability studies.